Thursday, October 25, 2012

I always vote for "apathy"

“If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal.”

--Emma Goldman
I don't vote. I also avoid conversations about voting, because when I mention I don't vote, otherwise reasonable people respond by shrieking like a hyena that has been freebasing.

MAN travels in packs; even supposed !INDIVIDUALISTS! feel better when they can be part of the mob. Voting helps sate this craving, and trying to argue the herd out of herding is like giving the finger to gravity. Doesn't accomplish much.
Still, the sanctimony of proud voters during Presidential races is so feverish I can't help myself.
The least impressive argument I hear from voters: People died to give you the right to vote.
So what? People also died defending the Third Reich. Their dying for a cause doesn't alter the merits of the cause one bit. Dying isn't a big deal. People die running themselves over with their own riding lawnmowers. Their death doesn't elevate my view of them.
Look at how progressives react when a Christian tells them that Jesus died for us. The progressives laugh, gag, or squawk (not a bad name for a game show). What they don't do is start going to church. Progressives--or just non-Christians in general--don't feel any obligation to Christ based on his dying for a cause.
I remember once speaking to someone--a proud progressive, AND SHE VOTES!--who couldn't leave well enough alone. She kept serving big, clichéd bowls of "It's your civic duty to vote" chowder.
Finally I said something like, "I don't believe in the political system, so by not participating, I am being the change I want to see in the world."
If anyone should appreciate my mentality, it should be progressives. Or so their slogans--Think globally, act locally--would lead us to believe. I don’t believe in voting, so by not voting, I am being the change I want to see in the world. I am thinking globally and acting locally. I am following Ghandi's advice.
George Carlin said it best:
I have solved this political dilemma in a very direct way: I don't vote. On Election Day, I stay home. I firmly believe that if you vote, you have no right to complain. Now, some people like to twist that around. They say, 'If you don't vote, you have no right to complain,' but where's the logic in that? If you vote, and you elect dishonest, incompetent politicians, and they get into office and screw everything up, you are responsible for what they have done. You voted them in. You caused the problem. You have no right to complain. I, on the other hand, who did not vote — who did not even leave the house on Election Day — am in no way responsible for what these politicians have done and have every right to complain about the mess that you created.

3 comments:

Chris Kringle said...

Your logic does create a nice line to follow. Yet I have to disagree with you. Choosing to not vote and then saying you aren't responsible is denial of the reality that we are all responsible for what is going down right now. Every action is connected to the greater whole. In no way am I suggesting that you should vote, but your inaction has just as much effect as those who take action. The fact that you voice your opinion about this on the internet appears that you need to validate your view. The reality is that whoever gets elected will not be the change that humans are looking for. It will require us coming together to create change that better suits all of humanity. In this we are all responsible even if we don’t want to be. I didn’t choose be born in a country that chose to run over the Native Americans and enslave the people of Africa to build this nation. Yet I am responsible for this mess as my ancestors sure as hell played a part in where we are today. Everyone who lives in this country is responsible and those who say they are not, aren’t willing to heal the past and just end up creating more of the same mess.

Raven Mack said...

If inaction has as much effect as action, then he is acting as obviously and effectively enough as he can. Voting solves nothing - it just passes the attempting to solve things off to whatever asshole has decided he has the right vision to push upon everybody else.
I'm not voting either. It goes against my beliefs.

CID Vicious said...

Yeah, but at the same time, it's the political system that's fucked up. You're voting FOR said system when you vote. When the participation rate gets critically low enough finally a dialogue on the inadequacy of our rigged system might finally commence for at the very least the first time in my 32 years on this Earth.

The Election for the POTUS is such a huge mental energy vampire that folks in other countries are watching the election as though it were their own. Every four years we waste gigantic amounts of time, energy, money and resources just to kick the shit-ball down the road another four years. Another four years of have the 'blue' or 'red' guy give you fewer rights, less personal security, more wars, more police, and more rights for corporations at our expense.

No, sir, I'm not going to pay into such a system. I'm not giving it my energy, my fuel to run on. I'm not going to validate this charade by participating in it.

If you want to work yourself up into a frenzy every four years over the big "Giant Douche vs Shit Sandwich" debate, fine, but don't act like you're changing a damned thing by sitting in the Coliseum with a hunk of bread in hand being one with the Spectacle.

If anything is a vote for change, it's a vote for None Of The Above.

Doesn't matter anyway - even if there were such a box, I'm sure Romney would just have the voting machine change it...

Fuck It 2012.